STOP LOSSES IN THE FORM OF “FORGOTTEN” UNPAID ITEMS LEFT IN AND UNDER SHOPPING CARTS AS THEY PASS THE CHECKOUT
Why control shopping carts
Shoplifting occurs when a customer exits a store with more than what they paid for at the checkout. Unpaid items left in shopping carts can represent significant, avoidable, losses.
- As many as 70% of checkout staff don’t check carts for unpaid goods as they pass the point of sale.
- Up to 25% of customers leave items in or under carts as they pass the checkout.
- Losses caused can be up to 0,55% of turnover.
International studies and retail clients estimate the losses caused by combined staff oversight and customer “forgetfulness” that result in unpaid items left in and under shopping carts as they pass checkouts at some €6k per checkout every year.
That’s an average of almost €13 a day for every staffed checkout. Worldwide, it adds up to almost €5.5 billion.
In response to a retail client’s request for a solution, we developed CaddyCheck®, an AI driven innovation that practically eliminates this form of loss.
CaddyCheck uses Cognitive Deep Learning AI Video Analytics to automate the monitoring process. Analysing every single shopping cart that passes the checkout, it detects items left in, under or behind the cart basket. Empty carts are ignored, so the cashier is only called to action when necessary.
To date, CaddyCheck has:
- Been installed in over 150 supermarkets (over 800 checkouts)
- Analysed >160M customer transactions in real time
- Recovered over €70M in sales for clients
- Boosted client Net Profit by up to 19%
- Automatic monitoring of every shopping cart passing through the checkout for “forgotten” purchases left in or under the cart.
- When items are detected, an audible alarm and a pop-up image on screen prompt action by the cashier to check cart contents before customer payment, avoiding any potential conflict.
- Empty carts are ignored to improve checkout productivity.
- Alarms can be triggered when carts and or people pass through closed or unstaffed checkouts.
- Enables recovery of typically “low risk” unsecured items such as beer, milk, water, soft drinks, diapers etc. that are too big to hide and rarely, if ever, tagged with EAS labels.
- Discreet and user friendly.
- Multiple AI algorithms deliver detection rates of >98% to ensure the practical totality of items left on or under carts are detected
- Can be used with multiple cart formats and designs, as well as baskets, roller baskets and strollers.
- Product Recognition of Hot List items.
- Can be installed as an independent stand alone solution without the need for IT integration in the Point of Sale terminal.
- Delivers automatic staff compliance reporting.
- CaddyCheck® ROI is typically less than 12 months.
Why use CaddyCheck?
Even before COVID-19, most cashiers simply didn’t check shopping cart contents for unpaid items. Since then, social distancing and physical barriers have only made matters worse.
Customers and staff at the checkout are frequently pressured for time. This can lead to genuine oversight and forgetfulness, as well as enabling deliberate theft. Whatever the reason, with average unpaid cart contents estimated at €13, the losses soon add up when items go unpaid.
Bottom of Basket, or “BoB” theft, is, by its very nature one of the simplest and lowest risk forms of shoplifting. If detected, the customer often typically excuses themselves for “forgetting” about the 24 pack(s) of beer, or the pack(s) of 2 litre soft drinks… Many of these items, especially multi-pack presentations, are invisible to EAS systems since they’re usually not tagged or secured electronically given their perception of being low risk.
Unlike shoplifting, BOB theft is seldom prosecuted.
CaddyCheck® is the ideal solution to recover these otherwise lost sales. The cashier is notified by a buzzer and an image on screen before the customer makes payment. This prompts staff to give a simple reminder to the customer about their “forgotten” items in or under the cart.
Problems with “Pushouts” when thieves take carts full of goods through store Entrances or Closed Checkouts?
- A typical Pushout is valued at between €800-€1500
- Some retailers claim as many as 90% of Pushout events are undetected
- Even worse, up to 10% of Pushout theft events end in violence during attempts to recover goods outside the store
- Push-Out Check automatically detects these events and gives an alarm before they leave the store
PushOut-Check® is a complimentary solution to CaddyCheck® that automatically monitors all unauthorised exits 24/7 (Store Entrances, Non-Purchase exit lanes, Self-checkout zones etc.) for visitors leaving with or without shopping carts, baskets, bags or boxes.
Staff are notified of incidents in real time before potential thieves leave the store.
Alerts can trigger any form of fixed visual or audible alarm or networked device such as cellphones.